Michigan university becomes first in the U.S. to offer students cannabis chemistry scholarship

Back in 2019, The Cannabis Center of Excellence was established by Lake Superior State University (LSSU). Now, the Michigan-based university is celebrating the inception of its first ever cannabis chemistry scholarship.

No other program of this kind has been initiated in the United States, where the legal cannabis market is growing at a rapid rate. Currently, 18 states and Washington D.C. have legalized the green plant for recreational purposes and 36 for medical purposes.

The scholarship, which is being introduced by research facility Steadfast, is targeted towards LSSU students. Annually, the cannabis chemistry scholarship will cost each individual $1,200. 

Founded with the goal of ensuring patients get safe access to cannabis-based medicine, Steadfast Labs has confirmed that applicants will only be considered if they are sophomores or older and maintain a GPA of 3.0 or above.

Additionally, students who reside in Oakland and Wayne Counties will gain priority status upon applying. 

“It is our great pleasure to grant this unprecedented scholarship for a cutting-edge program in an innovative industry,” said the founder and CEO of Steadfast Labs, Avram Zallen. “This grant is another opportunity for Steadfast to help LSSU students pursue careers in this exciting and important industry.”

LSSU President Dr. Rodney S. Hanley says that the scholarship is helping to reinforce key elements of the university’s vision statement: “being vanguard-focused and driving social mobility.”

Cannabis chemistry scholarship: About Lake Superior State University 

It might be the smallest public university in Michigan, but Lake Superior State University is certainly getting a big name for itself. The university has sent ripples of excitement across the cannabis industry at large with its latest degree option, which covers a broad spectrum of industry avenues that are aimed at “positioning cannabis studies as a national leader of academic inquiry.” 

Examples of some subjects that students can gain a degree in include cannabis business, cannabis chemistry, cannabis production and cannabis science. The program is the first in the U.S. specializing in the measurable analysis of cannabis-related compounds and contaminants, such THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), CBD (cannabidiol) and terpenoids.

“This donation not only continues our trendsetting ways in this vital new field but also makes our already affordable tuition even more reasonable,” said Dr. Steven Johnson, who assumes the role of Dean of the College of Science and the Environment at LSSU. “By funding this scholarship, Steadfast Labs again demonstrates their commitment to supporting future chemists who will enter the workforce and provide public safety in the cannabis field.”

Cannabis chemistry scholarship: Numerous schools across the U.S. are dabbling in the weed sector

Lake Superior State University isn’t the only one to offer its students cannabis education. Numerous other schools across the U.S., such as Cornell University and the University of Maryland, have welcomed classes that teach the basics about legal issues and cannabis cultivation. Nonetheless, no other school has offered a cannabis chemistry scholarship like LSSU.

According to to staff at LSSU, in excess of 500,000 jobs are anticipated to be created by the legal weed industry as of next year. As the industry continues to grow, more employers are seeking out college graduates who boast competence in the field of cannabis; thus demonstrating the importance of offering cannabis chemistry scholarships.