How have college campuses responded to legalization?

Pictured: The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research in Seattle, Washington

A significant portion of the American cannabis-consuming population is young adults.

Individuals aged 18-25 tend to be quite fond of the green plant and with 10 states now legally selling weed for recreational use, the younger crowd is well and truly presented with a playground of pot-related indulgences.

For many of them, the indulgences don’t extend beyond the borders of their social lives, what with so many schools across the U.S. introducing “no cannabis on campus” rules.

Schools are saying “no cannabis on campus” 

Multifarious schools scattered around the U.S. map are saying no to weed. This is not exactly good news for the pot-loving youth demographic. According to the details of a statement released by the President of Central Michigan University Bob Davies, school and federal laws have not been changed therefore students must refrain from using weed on school grounds.

“Prop. 1 does not change CMU policies or federal law — both of which prohibit the possession, use, and distribution of marijuana by students, employees and any person on university properties and at all university events,” he typed, continuing in bold, “the use or possession of marijuana is still not allowed on university properties or in the conduct of university business away from campus.”

Davies’ “no cannabis on campus” approach is being replicated in schools elsewhere, such as the University of Massachusetts Amherst.

“The academic impact of using marijuana includes lower GPA and delayed graduation. If drug testing is required, marijuana use can cause you to lose scholarships, jobs or internships,” the college states on its official homepage, in addition to warning students that cannabis is forbidden.

Pretty rude, considering the fact that cannabis-consuming students can work hard, too. Moreover, his statement suggests that even if in possession of a medical cannabis card, students are banned from using cannabis on campus.

Cannabis consumption not advised for students who want to succeed

Given these rules and if adults want to progress in their careers, it appears that they are faced with an ultimatum: give up the ganja or fail your education.

Most of the top schools in Oklahoma have been pretty harsh on cannabis use, in spite of the state implementing medical cannabis laws this year.

“Despite the recent passage of State Question 788, the DFSCA requires OSU and OU to adopt and adhere to policies prohibiting the unlawful use, possession or distribution of illegal drugs, including marijuana… Moving forward, OU and OSU will adhere to federal law prohibiting the use, possession, distribution or cultivation of marijuana for any reason at their campuses across the state,” read a statement from Oklahoma’s major schools.

Michigan State University also published something similar to the statement posted above, and that’s without even mentioning the many other U.S. schools on the anti-cannabis list.

Why are schools in the states turning their backs to pot?

Federal government funding is the main reason why. Without this funding, most schools would struggle to stay afloat and since cannabis remains illegal under federal law, enabling students to use it on-campus would be a risky move. Whether or not the laws will stick remains to be seen. After all, even Barack Obama participated in puff-puff-pass sessions during his student years.